This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

areaNew Patient Registration

Registering with the University and moving away from home can involve a lot of planning and time. AS part of this process it is important to consider your healthcare requirements.

Most UK students will be registered with a UK General Practitioner/Family Doctor. However, it is  best to register with a practice close to where you spend most of the year, which will be your university address.

We have an active dialogue and relationship with the University so are often involved in supporting students with medical problems and liasing with the University. Our list size is approximately 44,000, therefore we serve much of the Nottingham University community.

Our staff include 18 dedicated doctors, 11 nurses and other associated staff, including health visitor, midwife, visiting psychiatrist and physiotherapist.

You may register with the University of Nottingham Health Service (UNHS) if you are a:

  • student on a course of a minimum of three months at The University of Nottingham living within our catchment area (see map opposite)
  • member of staff on a contract of at least six months and you live within our catchment area
  • spouse, child or dependent of students and staff (as above)

Most patients will register with us at the beginning of the academic year during a specially organised week, which is usually held in the Senate Chamber of the University.

Use the link provided below to see if you are eligible to attend the practice where you live.

Primary Care Catchment Tool

Allocation of Named Accountable GP

All patients who register with us, including children, are allocated a named, accountable GP who is responsible for their overall care at the practice.  This is referred to as your 'Usual GP'.  You should be informed of your Usual GP when you register but you can check who this is with any member of staff at any time.  We will always make reasonable efforts to accommodate requests to change the Usual GP.

Choosing your doctor

UNHS are a group practice and you may see any of the doctors. You have a right to express a preference to see a particular doctor, in which case we will record this and try to ensure - subject to availability of appointments with that particular doctor - that your preference is met.

Registration forms

You may register with the practice at any time by visiting reception and completing a number of simple forms. 

If you do not have them you will have to complete them again from memory which may not provide us with information that affects your medical care.

Please download, print and complete the registration form and confidential medical questionnaire (pdf) and bring it with you to the practice.

Please fill in all information as accurately as you can as it may form the basis of care. Where possible include doses and frequency of medication. Be particularly careful with allergy information and immunization history as incorrect information can put you at risk. Your current GP should be able to provide this information but be patient they may have a number of requests and this is not urgent (allow time for your current practice to deal with it).

Eligibility for NHS care

You must be either

  1. UK or EU citizen
  2. Citizen of a country with full reciprocal agreement
  3. A registered student on a course over 6 months
  4. The spouse or dependant of someone fitting 1-3

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website